Your website’s speed has an impact on almost every bit of the “performance” of your website. Speed impacts rankings, it impacts conversions and average page views per visitor, and ultimately low-speed means you’re losing the money. Simply put, installing Rank Math will not negatively affect your site’s performance.
In this knowledgebase article, we cover how Rank Math works, why it doesn’t affect your site speed, and how you can start diagnosing performance issues on your website.
Can Installing Rank Math Slow Down Your Website?
Installing Rank Math will not hamper the speed of your website as Rank Math’s code has been created and optimized for maximum performance. On the contrary, there is a good chance that your website will perform better than ever with Rank Math, as it performs the job of multiple plugins. Once you remove the unwanted plugins from your website, your website’s performance is sure to get better.
What “WordPress SEO Plugins” (like Rank Math) Really Do Behind The Scenes
“WordPress SEO plugin” is generically used to describe any plugin that falls into the category of plugins that help you optimize your site for search engines.
Rank Math in particular focuses on letting you take complete control of your technical & on-site SEO. As opposed to smaller one-trick plugins that would have to be used in combination with 3, 5, or even 10 other plugins to get everything done – you get all the SEO tools and optimizations at your disposal in a single plugin built by a company that’s been operating in the WordPress industry for over 10 years.
Here are some of Rank Math’s most notable features:
- Set SEO titles/meta descriptions – Rank Math sets the titles/descriptions for individual pieces of content without changing a single piece of code.
- Set Social Media Descriptions – Rank Math helps to intelligently apply the social metadata to your content.
- Focus keyword Analysis (supports multiple keywords) – enter one or more focus keywords and look at how optimized your content is for those particular focus keywords.
- XML Sitemap – Rank Math generates XML Sitemaps for your website automatically.
- Structured Data/Schema – Optimize your pages with structured data and boost traffic to important pages in Rank Math.
- Search Console – Connect your website to Google Search Console to automatically submit sitemaps and view Search Console analytics inside your WordPress dashboard.
- Local SEO and Knowledge Graph – Optimize your site for local SEO easily with Rank Math
- Image SEO – Improve image SEO and automatically set alt and title tags to all your images.
- Breadcrumbs – You can add breadcrumbs to your site without editing the code.
- Link Counter – Count the number of internal and external links in your content.
- Redirections – Create and manage redirections without any hassle.
- 404 Monitor – Monitor your website for 404 errors. You can easily fix 404 errors and have a smooth user experience.
- Google Analytics – Keep an eye on the website’s statistics by easily integrating Google Analytics with the help of Rank Math.
- Basic WooCommerce SEO – Set product/shop titles/descriptions in your WooCommerce store.
If you are using Rank Math’s FAQ Schema and other Schema types, then CSS code might be added inline.
Our plugin was built from the ground up with performance in mind, and the numbers are on our side too. Even Rank Math’s Analytics module makes it possible to serve your Google Analytics tracking script locally…
Diagnosing Performance Issues With Your Website
If you’re concerned about site performance, here are some tools you can use to get to the bottom of why that is:
- Use GTmetrix before and after Rank Math to do a direct comparison in the page loading speed.
- Install the Query Monitor plugin to check the loading speed and slow queries in the backend. You can perform a comparison of before and after installing Rank Math.
- If you see anything remotely related to Rank Math causing the slowdown – then please open a support ticket immediately with more details like screenshots or links to GTmetrix comparison.
Performance Comparison – WordPress Website with Rank Math vs. Without Rank Math
We performed the GTmetix test on a site without installing Rank Math and the result were as follows:
We installed Rank Math plugin on the same website and performed the GTmetrix test again. The performance of the website increased to 100% as shown below:
The above comparison which was performed using a simple starter WordPress website with the default theme actually ended up performing better with Rank Math installed than without. Please note that this is not to suggest that Rank Math speeds up your website – it isn’t a performance plugin – it’s an SEO plugin. If you’re interested in speeding up your website, we recommend referring to this WordPress speed optimization guide.
Where To Get Help If A Plugin Isn’t Playing Nicely with Rank Math
We really can’t control the development standards of other developers but we recommend you reporting a specific plugin that causes an issue when used in combination with the Rank Math plugin. By doing so, it will help us to further rectify the issue from our end by reaching out to developers and bring out the solution at the earliest.