Breadcrumbs make it easy for visitors to navigate your website. Enabling breadcrumbs – especially for eCommerce stores – has enormous benefits such as good user experience, reduces the bounce rate, helps the search engines to crawl the website easily, ultimately improving the rankings.
Fortunately, the Rank Math SEO plugin makes it extremely easy to add the Breadcrumb Schema search engines require to show breadcrumbs in search results. Now let’s take a look at how to enable breadcrumbs with Rank Math:
1 Activate Breadcrumbs
You can activate the breadcrumbs setting in Rank Math from Rank Math > General Settings > Breadcrumbs.
Once you enable the breadcrumbs, all the other settings will appear on the screen.
2 Editing Options of Breadcrumbs
Once you will enable the breadcrumbs option you will get the editing options on your screen as shown in the above image.
- Separator Character: The separator character lets you set a separator character for your breadcrumbs.
- Show Homepage Link: You can enable this option if you want your homepage to be included in the breadcrumbs.
- Homepage Label: You can set a label that you want to give your homepage.
- Homepage Link: You can configure where will the homepage link will take the visitor.
- Prefix Breadcrumbs: You can add a prefix to your breadcrumbs with the help of Prefix Breadcrumbs.
- Archive Format: This option lets you set a breadcrumb format for the archive pages. %s represents the taxonomy and we recommend that you do not remove it.
- Search Result Format: This option lets you set a breadcrumb format for search result pages.
- 404 Label: You can set a breadcrumb format for your 404 labels.
- Hide Post Title: You can hide the title of the post if you enable this option.
- Show Category: Show Category will show the categories of your post. If your current post is part of a child category, then the breadcrumb will include the parent categories as well. We recommend that you keep this disabled.
- Hide Taxonomy Name: You can hide the taxonomy name with this option. The recommended setting is “Off”.
3 Editing Your Theme/Child Theme
Log into your WordPress dashboard. On you log in then go to Appearance > Theme Editor > functions.php and add the following code at the bottom of the page:
Use the following code in your theme template files to display breadcrumbs:
<?php if (function_exists('rank_math_the_breadcrumbs')) rank_math_the_breadcrumbs(); ?>
Once you have made the changes then click on the Update File button to save your changes. Besides this, if you wish to use a theme that is compatible with Rank Math’s Breadcrumbs feature out of the box, you can refer to our compatibility page here.
Was this article helpful?
Still need help?
Submit Your Question
Please give us the details, our support team will get back to you.